The purpose of a vacuum pump is to remove moisture and air from an A/C-R system. Modern systems are built tighter and charges are more critical. That means these system have a greater sensitivity to moisture and other contaminants, making thorough evacuation more important than ever before.
Moisture in an refrigeration system, directly or indirectly, is the cause of most problems and complaints. First, moisture can cause freeze-up in a system. Moisture is picked up by the refrigerant and transported through the refrigerant line in a fine mist, with ice crystals forming at the point of expansion.
"Freeze Up" is not the only problem caused by moisture. It can also result in corrosion, the effects of which are not apparent until the real damage has occurred. Moisture alone is bad enough, but combined with refrigerants containing chlorine, hydrochloric acids can form. These greatly increase the corrosion of metals.
Also, refrigerant oil rapidly absorbs moisture. Water-formed acids combine with the refrigerant, forming a closely bonded mixture of fine globules. The effect is called sludging and it greatly reduces the lubricating ability of the oil.
A vacuum pump removes troublesome moisture by lowering the pressure within the system and vaporizing (or boiling off) the moisture, then exhausting it along with air.
- Heavy duty motor. High torque design for easy startup and efficient operation.
- Iso-Valve® isolates the pump from the system with just a quarter-turn.
- Gas ballast keeps oil clean and dry.
- Two stage design cleans the system more thoroughly than a single stage pump; the second stage starts pumping at a lower pressure so you can pull a deeper ultimate vacuum.
- Inlet filter prevents pump contamination.
- Free Air Displacement 6 CFM
- Number of Stages Two
- Factory Micron Rating 20 microns
- 1/4" MFL and 1/2" MFL
- Oil Capacity 15 oz. (445 ml)
- Motor Size ? HP
- Voltage 115V 60 Hz
- Weight 27 lbs (12 kg)
- Dimensions 9" H x 55/8" W x 15" L (24.7 cm x 14.25 cm x 38.1 cm)
Robinair Cool-Tech vacuum pumps are designed for use on A/C-R system using CFCs, HCFCs, and HFCs in conjunction with mineral oil, ester oil, alkylbenzene oil and PAG oil as lubricants. Do not use them with ammonia or lithium bromide systems; not for use with flammable refrigerants. Robinair 15600 6 CFM Two Stage Vacuum Pump